Did you know, August 10th is likely your dogs favorite day -It's National Spoil Your Dog Day!
All of us spoil our dogs in different ways on the regular, but today is about taking it to the next level!
Here at LuluStellar we've put together our top 5 tips to celebrate this special day!
1. Plan an adventure- Plan an all-day dream date they’ll love (just be sure to build in plenty of time to rest). Our perfect itinerary: Take a leisurely walk around the neighborhood; stop by the park for off-leash play time; relax on a dog-friendly patio; and then fall asleep in a soft, fluffy bed.
2. Speaking of Soft, Fluffy bed- If your pup has to ring into a donut just to get into bed , or the bed smells like last weeks laundry, its time to upgrade! We recommend measuring your dog from nose to base of tail while in sleeping position, then add 8" to 12" to determine the bed length or diameter. If in doubt, always round up in size to ensure maximum comfort.
3. Bake Homemade tasty Treats- Surprise your Fur-baby with homemade healthy snacks! There are tons of yummy dog treat recipes online. Just make sure you double-check all the ingredients are dog-safe first – your vet can provide you with a good list to reference. Scroll down to the bottom for our favorite recipe!
4. Let your furry best friend Pick out a new toy- If you've ever brought your pup with you to the pet store, you know they have a tendency to just pull things off the shelves or try to steal bones and chews that smell good. On this special day, let your pup pick out a toy or treat and let them keep it!
5. Our personal Favorite, One-on-One time- Being present with your dog is one of the simplest things you can do to spoil him. When you go for a walk, leave your iPhone at home, or turn off the TV as you snuggle on the couch. Let everything else go and just enjoy each other’s company.
HOMEMADE PEANUT BUTTER DOG TREATS:
1- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
2- 1/4 cup peanut butter
3- 2 large eggs
4- 3 cups whole wheat flour
1- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat; set aside.
2- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat pumpkin puree, peanut butter and eggs on medium-high until well combined, about 1-2 minutes. Gradually add 2 1/2 cups flour at low speed, beating just until incorporated. Add an additional 1/4 cup flour at a time just until the dough is no longer sticky.
3- Working on a lightly floured surface, knead the dough 3-4 times until it comes together. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Using cookie cutters, cut out desired shapes and place onto the prepared baking sheet.
4- Place into oven and bake until the edges are golden brown.
5- Let cool completely.